A space accessible to everyone
"Accessible La Pedrera", Special Mention at the I Responsible Tourism Awards as Best Supplier of Accessible and Inclusive Tourism
Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera offers accessible resources and services in its spaces and amenities.
Casa Milà has a programme called “Accessible La Pedrera”, which has introduced sensory resources, not only in the exhibition areas but also in the contents of the programming of cultural activities such as lectures, seminars and concerts. Resources have been incorporated for the hard of hearing such as interpretation in sign language or the audio descriptions of the events for the partially sighted.
And so Casa Milà has a series of sensory resources whose aim is to make it easier to understand the contents of the exhibitions and to include different audiences:
At the building
- Tactile plans of the parts of the building open to the public: the courtyards, the attics, the ground floor and La Pedrera Apartment.
- Tactile-sensitive spaces.
- In the courtyard on Carrer Provença: model of the building.
- In the Espai Gaudí: models of a balcony, a stairwell and a group of chimneys, as well as samples of the materials used on the exterior of the building.
- In La Pedrera Apartment: model of part of the ceiling in the mezzanine and two of its columns, original moulding and samples of the flooring and other materials used inside the building.
- Magnifying lenses at the reading points of the temporary exhibitions and the Espai Gaudí, for the partially sighted.
- Descriptive audio guide in Catalan and Spanish, which enables blind and partially sighted people to take a guided tour of the courtyards, the Espai Gaudí and La Pedrera Apartment.
- Transcription of the audio guide “Outstanding elements of La Pedrera” for deaf people and a neckband with a magnetic loop for the hard of hearing. The transcription is available in nine languages: Catalan, Spanish, Galician, Basque, French, Italian, English, German and Portuguese.
- Visits with commentary to the temporary exhibitions for blind and deaf people, as well as inclusive sensory activities aimed at both the blind and the partially sighted.
- Inclusive sensory activities about the building for blind and the partially sighted people.
- Diptych in Braille and in large print in a single document for the temporary exhibitions.
- Diptych in Braille and in large print for the tour of the building.
- Portable induction loop system at the ticket counters and temporary exhibition for users with T coil hearing aids. For events in the Auditorium and Sala Gaudí there are individual magnetic neck bands which may be requested from the attendants.
This website has been constructed for the purpose of providing universal access, regardless of the technical, physical, sensorial or intellectual limitations of the persons who consult it and of the context of the use they make of it.
That is why we have worked with the aim of adapting the whole website to the recommendations of the World Wide Web Consortium - W3C in order to eliminate any barriers that may hamper access to information and communication. These recommendations take the shape of the accessibility guidelines of the WCAG 1.0. website.
Visits to the different areas of Casa Milà are also accessible to people using wheelchairs:
- In the Espai Gaudí (the attic), where you visit the permanent exhibition, there are ramps. The Apartment can be visited in a wheelchair without difficulties.
- The Exhibition Hall is accessed from the entrance on the flat, from the Passeig de Gràcia courtyard, and by lift, accompanied by visitor service staff. In the hall there is a stair lift for getting to reception.
- The Auditorium and the Gaudí Room are accessed by ramp as they are in the former coach house.
- There are adapted toilets on the ground floor, in the Apartment and in the Exhibition Hall.
- The shop/bookshop can be accessed using an indoor ramp.
- The Roof Terrace does not allow wheelchairs or pushchairs because of the constantly changing level in Gaudí’s structure. However, the area does have a platform just outside the lift where you can enjoy a general view.
Meanwhile, we have a wheelchair loan service to make visits easier for users with reduced mobility. This is a free service, subject to availability. Places must be booked in advance at: email@example.com.
For any doubts or suggestions regarding "La Pedrera" accessibility, you can contact: firstname.lastname@example.org